|| About Us
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's S.P.Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR) grew rapidly in eminence from one of the three B-schools in the country in 1981 to one of the top ten B-schools in the country by 1994-1995. Since then, it has continued to retain this position with ease during the last decade.The bold move to disaffiliate SPJIMR from the then Bombay University to have freedom in course curriculum, pedagogic innovations and pioneering programmers in socially under managed sectors was a beginning of its journey to achieve the mandate it has given itself in terms of unique innovative and distinct path in management education
The guiding philosophy of SPJIMR is influencing practice and promoting value based growth. The institute has an enviable track record of recognizing the needs of the society, especially the under managed sectors, and responding with quick and appropriate responses.Today, SPJIMR has to its credit five centers with multifarious activities, two-year full time postgraduate diploma (equivalent to MBA) and a few continuing executive education programmes. It has also made its presence felt in global arena and has truly become a larger than B-school. SPJIMR is an autonomous management institute with entrepreneurial agility that has made it totally self-financing, personal freedom with professional accountability and corporatized culture, structure and processesSPJIMR also figures in top ten B-schools South Asia.SPJIMR has locational advantage of having a sprawling campus in the heart of Mumbai, the commercial capital of the country
SPJIMR is in the process of becoming a global, value based, management practice Influencing institute, larger than a B-school, making a difference to a wide spectrum of Indian society's under managed sectors. Currently, there is no independent accreditation agency in the country. The controlling/regulatory role and quality approver roles are performed by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) and the National Board of Accreditation, as a wing of AICTE, set up by the Government of India under AICTE Act 1983. These agencies approve an individual program and its quality. Such role is entirely performed with reference to only AICTE approved programs/postgraduate programs only. Assessment of quality of management education is a daunting and challenging task. This is mainly because quantitative parameters (such as area, square foot per participant/director, number of PhD faculty etc) do not measure quality of either the program/institute or the processes deployed by an institute in building leaders of business for tomorrow. The qualitative parameters are, by their very nature, difficult to measure and a few of which such as "perception" could be remotely concerned with intrinsic qualitative strength of a program/an institute. This assessment task becomes more complex because of the conflicting interests, aspirations and motives of its stakeholders viz., participants, industry and business, other under managed sectors of the society, institution's constituents and above all the regulator. In UK, AMBA gives accreditation to individual programs of B-school. However, EQUIS and AACSB, both independent accrediting agencies in Europe and USA respectively, assess the quality of applicant B-schools as an Institute on the whole and not its individual programme/s. As, there is, at present, no independent agency in the country which accreditates an institute as a whole, SPJIMR is in the process of considering international accreditations.
- AIU (Association of Indian Universities) recognized our two-year full time Diploma Program in Management as equivalent to an MBA degree.
- SPJIMR is one of the five institution selected by Wadhwani Foundation from 189 Indian Institutions to become the member of National Entrepreneurship Network along with IIM (A), IIT (Mumbai), BITS (Pilani) and IBAB (Bangalore).
- Aspen Institute, US has invited SPJIMR, the only one from Asia, along with other 12 global institutions to develop pedagogy for Teaching Improvement Program (TIP) integrating CSR in the Management curriculum.
- Based on SPJIMR reputation, quality of management education and infrastructure facilities, the Ministry of Education of the Singapore Government with whom SPJIMR has academic collaboration, accorded S.P. Jain Centre of Management a degree awarding institution status. There are only three other institutes from INSEAD (France), Chicago Business School (USA) and University of New South Wales (Australia) to receive this status.
- SPJIMR is one of the very few Management Institutions to have achieved the 'A' grade status of accreditation by the National Board of Accreditation in 2003.